So this last weekend we went city camping as we call it. It is basically an RV park with full hookups. We have had this place bugging us to come and check them out. According to their little scratch off ticket, we had won $1000 in free camping, $200 in Gas, and a free laptop for listening to their 90 min presentation. We finally decided to take them up on it. The place was right on the Colorado river and had lots of fun things for the kids to do. They had miniature golf, pool, swimming pools, a kids craft room, and of course the beach. It was packed!!! The kids had fun. We (Chris and I) had an adventure.
I forgot to bring an actual map and the camera. I had the directions and small map that they had sent us. We were going on the road and there literally was nothing around. I didn't think it was so far on the one road but it was. We thought we had somehow missed the turnoff. Luckily cell phones worked and I called my sister to map quest it. (No we don't have a fancy phone or GPS system). we were on the right road just not far enough to the turn off. Needless to say we did make it, later than we had planned but still there. After setting up we had forgotten to run water though the pipes before we left. We started running the water through all the faucets. Somehow the drain plug for the bathroom sink was still in place. It overflowed and there was water everywhere!!! I hurried and cleaned that up with most of our towels that I had brought. I saved 2 to be able to shower with. Of course it was stinky water and they had to go outside but it was cleaned up. We settled into bed and lights out around 11pm.
The next morning we woke up to the entire floor of the trailer having about 1/2 inch of water on it!!!! Somehow the toilet had started running and filled up and overflowed. Our neighbor had noticed our trailer dripping everywhere and turned the water off about an hr before we had woken up. Thank goodness!!! It was an absolute mess. Erika had kicked her sleeping bag off and it was drenched on the floor. Their little stuffed animals had fallen an were soaked. We cleaned up and rang the towels form the night before out the best we could. We used Erika's sleeping bag to help. That was NOT what I had wanted to wake up to. At least it was clean water. It hadn't gotten into the sewer line so we didn't have that yucky water to deal with. I then made breakfast and burned the bacon still trying to clean up as I went. I was really hoping the day would get better.
The kids wanted to go swim in the pools, so I took them and we went for about 1 1/2 hrs. They had fun. I was ready to get them back to the trailer and get showered!!! The pools were so dirty. Each of them had a film of dirt around the edge that kids had scratched their initials in and the water had a green tinge to it. It was gross. I convinced the kids to try the other things and we played in the playground, the miniature golf, and the kids craft room the rest of the day. It was super hot there and the beach was very crowded. We were looking forward to taking a nice rest in the trailer, at least mom and dad were. The kids just watched a movie and were somewhat quiet. It didn't turn out to be such a bad day after all.
We had to go to the little seminar the next morning. We listened to their little presentation and thought it wasn't a half bad deal, until they told us the price!!! They wanted you to buy into for a lifetime membership for $20,000. Yes I have the zeros right. Th least amount for 6 years was still $6000, plus their $500 yearly maintenance fee. We politely told them no. We couldn't believe it. It was nice to stay but not for that amount of money!!! We did receive the $1000 in free camping but there are so many stipulations on using it that it really won't happen. The $200 gas certificate, you have to have receipts of $50 (no more/less) once a month for the next 4 months and send them in, then they will issue a credit. the laptop is a little net book PC. It is a piece of crap but Wyatt thinks it is pretty cool. We let him and Erika have it.It wasn't such a bad mini vacation. At least the kids had fun.
1 comment:
Oh my gosh! I can't even imagine the horror of all that mess. I'm glad you ended up enjoying yourself. But, ya, timeshares are a rip off, coming from someone who's husband used to sell them. If you want to go there again, I can almost gaurentee that you can find someone trying to sale their week online and you would just have to pay the maintenance fee and maybe a tiny bit extra.
Post a Comment